Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Friday in Pictures

Yesterday, I helped at American Youthworks' inaugural "drainage ditch" garden groundbreaking.  
An American Youthworks teacher gardens.

Since the gardens are in the drainage ditch, they are watered by rain and from upstream surface and ground water flow.  The plants are in raised beds, adding water drainage and preventing their flooding during periods of heavy rain.  

This garden is in an urban environment, which has  hydrological consequences.  As a  small scale watershed quality strategywe made sure to put  mulch (e.g. pine needles) on all bare areas.  

We weeded and sowed Fall appropriate seeds.  The shadow of yours truly is in the bottom left corner.
A look at their compost pile behind the basil.
This is one of my favorite pics from the day.  These little garden blessings were placed all around the garden.

I hope you are having a great weekend!  Tell me about it in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Great project for the students!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment!

    I love the hands-on learning opportunity too. Thanks to the AYW teachers for coming up with the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've visited in Texas and seen these drainage ditches, seems like a good idea. But wouldn't they get wiped out in a storm??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to hear what the kids have to say about the project. Can you get their feedback?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good question Anonymous (#2)! They very well could be "washed away." The likelihood of that happening depends on how much land area the ditch drains in this location. I believe they are located "upstream" in their watershed, which reduces the chances of being washed away since it drains less. But I did notice that the ditch can get quite wet, so it is good that they have the garden in raised beds. Also, since the garden is in a drainage feature, it makes it even MORE important that they remember implementing ways to promote water quality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. The drainage has grass cover for as far as I could see, which slows down any surface water flow that may otherwise "wash away" their garden. I hope they are in the clear!

    ReplyDelete